It’s no bueno. Here’s some of why:
- Millions of gallons of toxic wastewater will be produced from every new well, with about half remaining in the ground.
- Underground Contamination.
- Surface Contamination that can poison humans.
- Depletion and degradation of surface freshwater and shallow drinking water aquifers.
- Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) is found in the Marcellus shale at high concentrations and is likely to be discharged into drinking water supplies due to leaks, spills, or inadequate waste treatment. dangerous quantities from the wells.
This documentary was incredibly insightful and pretty entertaining given the intermittent musical performances. We were fortunate to have an amazing discussion panel as well! I asked Jon Bowermaster, writer/director of Dear Governor Cuomo, Paul Gallay, President of Riverkeeper, and Catherine Borgia, Westchester County Legislator, to role play:
Short story shorter, none of these experts could come up with an answer.
Governor Andrew Cuomo has the power to stop this from happening in the State of New York – Tweet #banFracking @NYGovCuomo and let him here your voice! This is an issue that affects us all.
Want to learn more?
Get the lowdown on hydraulic fracturing at http://nyagainstfracking.org/facts/